LED Board In Flames In Times Square A Mitsubishi, But Doubtful That Display Was Fire’s Origin

That media display board that was on fire on the weekend was indeed a Mitsubishi LED display, but I’ve not yet found anything online explaining what happened.

It’s easy to to look at this incident and see a problem owing to LED tech, but the screen may well have been collateral damage, with the origins in something like the lighting ballasts or wiring.

A creative friend who has generated content for that set of screens in Times Square suggested the fire may have been in the lighting columns that flank both sides of the screen. The video certainly suggests the fire is on the left edge of the screen, which kept playing until someone powered it down.

His suspicions are backed up, I’m told, by investigators. My Digital Signage Federation board colleague Paul Fleuranges said via Linkedin that he talked to the fire department (he’s a New Yorker and until recently working for the city), and was told: “The Fire Marshals determined this was an accidental, electrical fire that began in the ballast of the sign.”

 

Dave Haynes

Dave Haynes

Editor/Founder at Sixteen:Nine
Dave Haynes is the founder and editor of Sixteen:Nine, an online publication that has followed the digital signage industry for more than 13 years. Dave does strategic advisory consulting work for many end-users and vendors, and also writes for many of them. He's based near Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Dave Haynes

@sixteennine

13-year-old blog & podcast about digital signage & related tech, written by consultant, analyst & BS filter Dave Haynes. DNA test - 90% Celt/10% Viking. 😏😜🍺
I support the cause, but sorry, my time machine is at the garage for servicing. Aug. 17th? https://t.co/tRCEMUt3JM - 14 hours ago
Dave Haynes