5 Tips On Increasing Employee Commitment Using Digital Signage
July 4, 2016 by guest author, Luis Villafane
Guest Post: Richard Fortin, ITESMEDIA
Sadly, many employees show up at work day after day without any real motivation. Worse still, some are there only to work their hours and collect their paycheque. It’s hard to imagine they’re very committed to the success of their company.
Commitment has become a major management concern. It’s the number one human capital priority for 91% of Canadian companies. Research tells us that a committed employee:
- Performs better and is 43% more productive;
- Is 87% less likely to quit his or her job;
- Returns up to 2.5 times more benefits.
This first part of two posts presents two of the five digital signage tips that will increase your employees’ commitment:
1 – Show gratitude
If you are having doubts about the importance of gratitude in generating employee commitment, here are a few numbers that might convince you:
- 77% would be willing to work more if they were shown more gratitude;
- Employees who feel valued by their employers are 60% more motivated to do good work.
But here’s the problem: only 24% of employees are satisfied with the level of gratitude they receive.
It’s really important to communicate with employees, in order to recognize their good deeds. Here are a few examples:
- Emphasize good performance;
- Highlight important events, a new record, for example;
- Be grateful for actions large and small that move the company forward;
- Display encouraging words;
- Highlight social, sports, or community involvement;
- Highlight when objectives are reached;
- Highlight promotions and years of service.
Along with the simple act of showing gratitude around a workplace, digital signage also lets you show your employees that gratitude quickly. As soon as the good deed is accomplished, it is possible to communicate congratulations. You don’t have to wait for the next newsletter. The next big staff meeting. Digital signage lets you communicate with the right people at the right time.
2 – Develop a sense of belonging
Teamwork is a good way to get employees to commit to their job. It’s a way to develop a sense of belonging, not only towards the company, but also towards colleagues.
Digital signage is a good tool for sharing information about employees in order to get to know the people with whom we work, and therefore form bonds more easily. For instance, we can display:
- Employee birthdays;
- The hobbies of some employees;
- Congratulations for some type of victory (sports, talent contest…);
- Invitations to events.
Here is a concrete example, from our client ArcelorMittal, of what can be displayed on a screen.
This post originally appeared in the ITESMEDIA blog, a great dual-language resource for digital signage insights from the Montreal-based company.”